- Deal with spills right away because the longer it sits the harder it will be to clean up the stain.
- For a food spill, scrape up as much as possible, soak it with warm water, blot it dry and then run the vacuum over it several times.
- If you have to use a carpet cleaner or stain removing spray use on that is recommend by the carpet manufacture and be sure to do a color test somewhere before treating the floor fully.
- If stains are still present in the fibers you can try to loosen and lighten them with a 3% hydrogen peroxide that you apply and let sit for an hour and then blot dry gently.
Keep your carpet looking beautiful day in and day out
Following these care tips to keep the color and texture of your home's carpet looking fresh and beautiful for years to come:
- Vacuum several times a week to remove dirt and debris before it gets ground into the fibers
- Depending on carpet type you could use a vacuum with a rotating brush, beater bar, or suction set.
- Consider calling in a professional cleaning company once a year to keep your carpets cleaner.
- Be careful with runs and snags and do not pull them out- you will usually damage the carpet.
- Dents left by furniture can be lessened my fluffing the fibers or using a light steam iron setting.
- For water damage beyond a normal spill, call in the professionals to dry things out.
Tips for a soft carpet
Everyone loves the feel of soft carpet fibers between their toes, but how do you keep your carpet feeling so plush and wonderful? Follow these simple tips:
- Use the highest vacuum level setting when possible to keep fibers full and non-compacted.
- Avoid vacuums that have a heavy or overly powerful vacuum head as it can compact fibers.
- A vacuum that has big wheels are easier to move and maneuver and are easier on the carpet.
With these points in mind you are well on your way to getting and keeping the beautiful lush carpeting you have always wanted for your home.